Thursday, March 27, 2014

     What wonderful testimonies we heard on Sunday!  The power of God was evident in all that happened.  The team has much more to share.  I hope you will take the time to talk to them individually.  the following testimony is from Jonathan Barnes (one of the sons of thunder - brother to James and son to Dixie).  He could not join us on Sunday, but here is what was on his heart about the mission:
Link to testimonies- Nigerian Mission Team Testimonies



    "First I just want to thank all of my friends and family at Sycamore for loving us and for always making me and my family feel welcome with you. It may be at a service at the sanctuary or camp at Pineora or in Nigeria but I always feel genuinely loved and welcomed by the body. We love you all and miss you. I wish I could be there Sunday for many reasons, but most of all because I love being with people that I love. This trip was a battle in many ways. From having to get a passport and visa at the last minute to getting sick mid day on Wednesday. The battle has been good. I've had small tests of faith and God has been faithful. Starting with with passport, visa and necessities that came through when they were needed. Dr. Okere is a great team leader and HIMM is an organization dedicated to Christ-like service to those most in need. It was a pleasure to serve with all of those on the team. It was especially good to see some get there first tastes of mission particularly African mission. Whether it was being told to be ready at a certain time and then having to wait or freaking out about the way people drive in the streets of Lagos and Owerri. 

     Getting sick mid day on Wednesday was a good test for me. I was reminded that what I was doing was not as important as what God was doing. God showed me that my sickness helped encourage others on the team to pray and ultimately that's what its about praying and relating to God. It was  good to be with CY. He truly was John the Baptist for us and prepared the way for us in churches and otherwise to do what God had planned for us to do. There were so many memorable things such as the two newborn orphan twins at the first clinic whose mother had died just a few weeks earlier and their grandmother had brought them to get help. Terry held one of these twins so that their grandmother wouldn't have here hands so full at least temporarily. There were several times when the crowd got more than unhappy about seeing a doctor or getting their medicine right away. Leslie did a good job of confronting the crowds when they got too pushy. I enjoyed many conversations with Gary throughout the trip. Sometimes it was general stuff about life and sometimes specific things like the ups and downs of leading worship. 

     One big highlight was playing and singing "When the Saints Go Marching In" at Dr. Clement Amadi's 70th birthday celebration. Some more good times was watching Dr. Kennedy and Leslie dancing at Felix's brother's house after the last medical mission and at the party at the Honorable Innocent's house. Of course when some of us white folk tried to dance it made it even more funny. It was good to be with Mom and see her 40 year dream of going on an overseas mission trip come true. It was good to be with Teresa and CY at Victory Baptist Church. Getting the opportunity to give a a testimony about God calling me to go to Africa and sharing music with the church as well as lunch with their young pastor was a great blessing. Having air conditioner in the hotel at night was luxury that was a surprise to say the least. 

     Everywhere we went I felt that we were so welcome and like we were a part of the family. I was reminded that God's family is made up of people from every tongue tribe and nation. There is so much to say about the trip and I don't know if I can do it justice." 

Thank You,

Jonathan Barnes


No comments:

Post a Comment